Sunday, January 31, 2010

Last Couple of Days in Mokpo - Jan-31-2010

Random Korean Cultural Trivia


- The name Korea comes from it's second last dynasty, the Goryeo/Koryo kingdom (918-1392). One of the top universities in the nation, Korea University (고려대학교) is actually written as Goryeo University.

It's my second last day in my hometown Mokpo before I leave for teacher's training in Jochiwon (조치원) in Korea University. I've stayed here for a little two months and a lot of things happened. For one thing my Korean got tons better and I gained about 15 lbs from all the alcohol and good food I've been eating. I've lost roughly 25lbs since then so we can just say I lost 10lbs. =)

I've been hitting the gym 6 days a week and I've climbed like twenty mountains if not more, including the nations second tallest. In the long and short, it's just drink, eat, workout, meet people and sleep lmao.

Since I've been working out like a madman I've made a huge improvement in my strength. My last 'peak strength' was in grade 11 and after like six years I finally got past it. Sadly today was my last day at the gym (which turned out to be much more impressive than I thought). I'm gonna miss the gym owner (관장님), he's a pretty cool guy and gave me a lot of new exercise ideas that I never even imagined. And of course I'll miss all the beautiful young girls keeping their bodies beautiful. LOL. But yea here's a little rundown of my new peak strength.

Barbell Bench Press - 110kg (6x)
Tricep Pulldowns - 130kg (20x)
Seated Rows - 130kg (20x)
Chest Flys - 130kg (20x)
Leg Press - 180kg (8x) damnit.. I used to do 500 lbs back then D=
Dumbell Curls - 25kg per arm (8x)
Lat Pulldown - 100kg (20x)

I forgot the rest but you get the idea.

Anyway, I'll be heading over to Korea University in a couple of days for 3 weeks of teachers training. I'm really looking forward to it and I hope to meet a lot of great people there. Apparently we're staying at the University residence there for two weeks and then splitting off into groups based on provincial placement. I hope they have internet there and preferably a gym where I can still maintain my progress.

When I go to my placement in Wando County, I'm given like 3-4 days to get my apartment and stuff organized, as well as getting an idea of what's where in the city. When I went there last week I went around the harbourfront. All I saw was an endless strip plaza of seafood restaurants, convenience stores and fishing marts. Literally after two miles of walking that's all I ever saw. I walked into what looks like a mini supermarket and they had like nothing.

I haven't been to the main city yet but I'm gonna be scoping for four very important things.
- a gym (with heavy weights and nice looking girls? XD)
- a GOOD supermarket, (one that sells in good variety at good price)
- a convenience store (for snacks, drinks and the like)
- an electronics store (preferably one that sells games and other stuff)

When I move into my apartment in late Feb/early March I'm gonna start cooking again. =D It'll come in a variety, but mostly Korean and Western food, once I run out of those I'll try following other recipes I find online and give it a success/fail rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment