Thursday, March 18, 2010

Kimchi Stew and My PS3 - Mar-18-2010

Random Korean Cultural Trivia

- Do/도 = Island/Province (ex- Jeju-Do)
- Si/Shi/시 = Major City (ex- Seoul-si)
- Gun/Goon/군 - County (ex- Wando-gun)
- Eup/읍 = Town (ex - Wando-Eup)

After four months of living in Korea, one thing in particular that I missed the most was a Playstation 3 and most of all Street Fighter IV with the guys. I found out that my plane ticket reimbursement was deposited early (rather than with my first paycheque on the 25th). So the first thing I did was go online to G-Market and bought a 120GB PS3 Slim. When I co-owned a PS3 with Dennis, it was the older 80GB bulky model. While this new model is way better in every way, it doesn't look as high tech. haha Earlier this morning I had roughly 30 rounds of SF4 with Godfrey before I started work at 11 and it was well worth the four month break period.




Kimchi Stew (김치 찌개)
(I know I'm a bit late coming into this, but here it is = my weekly cooking attempts/recipes.)
2 Shots of Soju (19.5-21%)
1lb of Sour Kimchi with brine from the Kimchi
400g Pork Belly
2 tbsp of Sesame Seed Oil
2 Blocks of Tofu
1-2 cups of cold water (depends on how spicy you want it)
optional - Green Onions, Mushrooms, Bean sprout, Ramen noodles, Egg, Spam, Dumplings

1) Cut the pork belly into small bite-sized rectangular/square strips
2) Put the pork at the bottom of a stew pot and coat with sesame seed oil

3) Cover the meat with the sour kimchi, pour the juice/brine from the sour kimchi to about half the content
*sour (신김치) kimchi is used because fresh kimchi does not have the brine and the cabbage will not soften and will remain a bit stiffer, you want the cabbage soft*
4) Pour the cup(s) of water
*less water = spicier/hotter and vice versa*
5) Add the shots of soju
*will make the soup taste richer in flavour and will help tenderize the meat*
6) Cover the pot and put on med-high flame for about 10 minutes, around the 8-9 minute mark cut the tofu into squares about 1.5cm thick
7) Uncover and add the tofu as well as any other extra ingredients you want to put into the mix
8) Let it simmer for about 3 more minutes with the lid covered.
9) Done!


There are various versions of this (Budejjigae/부대 찌개) as mentioned before, tuna kimchi stew, cheese kimchi stew and some others. I'm a racial purist when it comes to food, I believe adding foreign ingredients into traditional recipes spoils it. I tried it at a friend's house, we heard that there was a cheese one and she wanted to try it out. Simply put, it just tasted horrible and I had indigestion for about two days after. (yea, thanks Jasmine -_-) Well anyway, serve with rice and whatever side dishes you want to eat along with it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment